Thursday, June 14, 2012

Another shawl completed!

Clarus, the second shawl in my Craftsy.com "Mastering Lace Shawls" course is completed and in record time. I started in on April 28 - the day the yarn was purchased at the Knitters Frolic in Toronto - and it was completed and off the needles on June 8. It would have been sooner but I had a couple of issues near the end. I blocked it last weekend and gave it to its new owner, my best friend Jackie.

This shawl was made from a fabulous fingering weight 100% merino wool yarn from Indiodragonfly, an amazing indie dyer located in Haliburton, Ontario. To say they these folks have a wicked sense of humour would be an understatement. Completely insane (but in a good way!) would be more like it. Check them out and see the names of their yarn colourways and you will know what I mean. Their yarns are amazing and I will definitely be buying more.

The yarn I used is called "Hootenanny - Well It's Chock Full of Hoot, Just a Little Bit of Nanny", a beautiful semi-solid teal colour. Unfortunately, the colour in the photo just doesn't do it justice. And the puppy pads that I put down on the top of my bed to wet block the shawl are detracting from the elegance as well.



I'm planning to do this pattern again, but this time in a lace weight yarn. I've never knit with anything that fine so it will be a challenge. I wanted to start it right away but discovered that, of all the needles I own, I don't have any 3.5 mm circulars so one had to be ordered. It should be here soon.

In other knitting, I've been working on a couple of pairs of socks for my friend Libby. One pair is almost done, the second pair underway. Pictures will follow when they are done.

I've been asked to teach knitting in a child care centre one afternoon a week during July and August. I love teaching kids to knit. I've worked with some of these children (6 and 7 years old) before and they are very excited that I will be there all summer. I'm excited too!

And now, back to the sock knitting ...

Happy Knitting!
Barb



No comments: